We’re half way through our half term one week Sewing School course already and the lovely Anne has already completed one dress. (The Geo Dress from Sew Different.)
Sewing School Start Dates
5 week dressmaking course
Sewing School is the perfect course for any skill level or experience, as you choose the project and learning areas and learn to your own level.
The class sizes are small (max 3 students) so that you can have plenty of tutor time to support you during the course.
You decide what you want to make and what you want to learn – choose from the list below or decide your own learning options and I will make sure we cover as much as we can during the course.
- Measure yourself correctly
- Select the right size for you
- Read and understand the pattern
- Pick the right fabric for your project
- Sewing machine basics
- Sew and finish different types of seams
- Cut your paper pattern
- Arrange your pattern to cut your fabric correctly
- Pin and cut out your fabric
- Stripe, check or pattern matching
- Transfer pattern markings to your fabric
- Pattern adjustments
- Full or small bust adjustment
- Garment construction
- Understand the importance of interfacing, stay stitching, pressing and understitching
- Make minor adjustments to the fit
- Making a toile and making pattern alterations
- Zip techniques & samples
- Hemming techniques & samples
- Hem your garment
- Finishing off
- Hand finishing
- Sewing buttonholes
- Jersey skills
- Overlocker basics
Recent Sewing School graduates have learnt a wide variety of subjects and have made some amazing garments.
Elsie sold one of her Halloween makes online during the course, and is planning to support her new fabric habit by selling her festival clothing online.
Lindsey has gone outside her comfort zone and has learnt pattern alterations and has altered a coat pattern to fit her perfectly.
Emma has covered Full Bust Adjustments and has made up some toiles that will help her create some cosplay creations.
Students have also sewn flawless zips, tackled buttonholes, done full bicep adjustments to overcome snug fitting sleeves. Others have never sewn before and have tackled the basics from understanding how to thread a sewing machine and selecting the correct size on a dressmaking pattern to creating fantastic wearable finished garments.
In other news…
New dressmaking courses start at StraightCurves in Chesterfield next week.
Beginner’s Dressmaking – BOOK HERE
- Wednesday 6th November – 6.30pm
- Friday 8th November – 1pm
Beginner’s Dressmaking – Part 2 – BOOK HERE
- Wednesday 6th November – 1.30pm
- Friday 8th November – 6.30pm (FULLY BOOKED)
If you have any questions or want to know more, please get in touch. email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hope to see you sewing soon,
PS. If you’re already looking forward to 2020, New Year Sewing School (5 day dressmaking course) runs from January 6th-10th (1-4pm) and is bookable online HERE.