I took a trip to Fabworks Mill Shop in Dewsbury yesterday, a fabric shop that I’d never visited before but had shopped with online.
I didn’t have a specific project in mind, but I couldn’t resist this beautiful metallic plisse. Does anyone have any pattern suggestions of what I can make with it? (I bought 4 metres.)
It won’t be long now until the kids are back to school, which means it could be time for you to start to think about going back to school too!
Sewing School, that is!
Sewing School is my signature 5 week dressmaking course, with small class sizes (max 3) students can learn exactly what they want to learn.
Choose from the list below or decide your own learning areas.
- Measure yourself correctly
- Select the right size for you
- Read and understand the pattern
- Pick the right fabric for your project
- Sewing machine basics
- Sew and finish different types of seams
- Cut your paper pattern
- Arrange your pattern to cut your fabric correctly
- Pin and cut out your fabric
- Stripe, check or pattern matching
- Transfer pattern markings to your fabric
- Pattern adjustments
- Full or small bust adjustment
- Garment construction
- Understand the importance of interfacing, stay stitching, pressing and understitching
- Make minor adjustments to the fit
- Making a toile and making pattern alterations
- Zip techniques & samples
- Hemming techniques & samples
- Hem your garment
- Finishing off
- Hand finishing
- Sewing buttonholes
- Jersey skills
- Overlocker basics
During recent sewing schools, students have covered various different skill sets and projects, from copying a pattern from an existing favourite garment to upsizing vintage patterns. Another student made a waistcoat from upcycled men’s ties.
Whether you want to start from the beginning and learn the basics or increase your exsisting skills, then Sewing School is perfect for you. With 15 hours of lessons over 5 weeks, there is plenty of time to complete a simple garment or really get your teeth into a more complex one!
Read what past students have said about Sewing School HERE. Many students have attended sewing school more than once as they enjoyed it and learnt so much they have wanted to continue.
September Sewing School Dates
Sunday Evenings 5-8pm – Starts Sunday 15th Sepember – FULLY BOOKED
Tuesday Mornings 9.30am-12.30 – Starts Tuesday 17th September – BOOK HERE
Monday Evenings 6-9pm – Starts Monday 23rd September – BOOK HERE