Coming August 6th – 10th in Bawtry (Monday – Friday, 1-4pm, daily)
Sewing Summer School is the dressmaking course for you, whether you are a novice ready to take the first steps into making clothes or you are more experienced and want to upskill your dressmaking and get a better fit and a better finish.
Small class sizes (max 3) ensure that you get the individualised support and tuition that you need.
You provide your fabric and your patterns and I will help you achieve your dressmaking dreams and ambitions.
There will be daily formal learning sessions, tailored to the needs of the individuals within the group and student led learning where you will progress on your chosen project.
Do you find it difficult to find the time and space at home for you to sew and are ready to learn more and make more of your own or your family’s clothes? This course is dedicated time and space for you to do just that without distractions.
I am an experienced tutor and have over 25 years creative dressmaking experience, here are just some of the things that my previous students have said after taking lessons with me:
- “Absolutely loved loved loved my workshop today. Alison you have the patience of a saint!” Amanda C, Doncaster
- “My self-confidence has soared and I have a new dimension of ‘how to do’!” Trudi K, Chesterfield
- “This lady is brilliant – I went on Saturday to make a circle skirt, she was very helpful, I only had basic dressmaking knowledge… beginners will thrive… the results are amazing and the feeling you get on completion is fabulous!” Julia B, Retford
Choose from this list or add your own learning areas to be covered within the course:
- Measure yourself correctly
- Select the right size for you
- Read and understand the pattern
- Pick the right fabric for your project
- Sewing machine basics
- Sew and finish different types of seams
- Cut your paper pattern
- Arrange your pattern to cut your fabric correctly
- Pin and cut out your fabric
- Stripe, check or pattern matching
- Transfer pattern markings to your fabric
- Pattern adjustments
- Full or small bust adjustment
- Garment construction
- Understand the importance of interfacing, stay stitching, pressing and understitching
- Make minor adjustments to the fit
- Making a toile and making pattern alterations
- Zip techniques & samples
- Hemming techniques & samples
- Hem your garment
- Finishing off
- Hand finishing
- Sewing buttonholes
- Jersey skills
- Overlocker basics
- Advanced overlocker techniques
Included in Sewing Summer School:
- Optional fabric shopping trip to Walton’s Fabric in Goldthorpe on the Monday evening
- Free access to the Tuesday Sewcial session on Tuesday 7th August 6-8pm
- Tea, coffee or soft drinks and biscuits (very important fuel for the human body)
- Email or text support from me in the evenings, should you need it
Sewing Summer School is suitable for you if you want to make clothes for you or your family. You do not need to own a sewing machine or even have any tools, as they will all be provided for you to use, however if you would prefer to use your own, you are welcome to bring them along.
All you need is to bring your pattern and fabric and other bits to make your garment. However if you are unsure about the type or amount of fabric you need to buy, you can purchase your fabric from Walton’s Fabric in Goldthorpe on our fabric shopping trip on Monday evening.
We will squeeze a lot into these 15 hours, but what you get out of it is up to you. There is no homework required, but should you wish to do more in an evening, I will be available to support you in the evenings, via email or text, throughout the course.
If you have any questions, just ask. firstname.lastname@example.org or 07957 437001.